Off the northern coast of the island Kunoy stands Øldan. Øldan is a sea stack rising 71 vertical meters above sea level. Puffins nest at the top of the sea stack and are often spotted flying around during tours. Only 65 meters from Øldan is Kunoyarnakkur, one of the highest Sea Cliffs in the world rising over 800 meters above sea level.
Extreme Faroe Islands has made it possible for tours to climb the Øldan and experience this truly incredible view.
Øldan is a Sea Stack located just north of the Island “Kunoy”. It is 71 vertical meters from sea level to the top. The tour starts in Klakksvík. You will take a boat from Klakksvík to Øldan, which duration is 30 minutes and the boat sails along the entire Kunoy and Kalsoy which are famous for their steep mountains and sea cliffs. It’s not uncommon to see seals and small whales. Once on the foot of Øldan the adventure begins. Steps are bolted into the cliff, so you’ll climb the sea stack all by yourself – making you more active during the ascent than the ascent to the top of Risin. Of course you will be tied in to a climbing rope at all time, so should you fall off the steps you’ll be safely secured to the climbing rope. No climbing experience is needed to join this tour.
On the top puffins nest and do not be surprised to see puffins bringing sand eels to their chick. The view from the top is amazing, you’ll see Kallurin, Nestindar, Hestmúli, Drangur and the world’s highest Sea Cliff. Right in front of Øldan, and only separated by 65 m of ocean, the mountain “Kunoyarnakkur” rises over 800 vertical meters straight up out of the North Atlantic Ocean, making it a competitor to the highest sea cliff in the world.
We’ll spent some time on the top for pictures, or maybe you just want to be by yourself to enjoy the view. Then you’ll rappel back down. This might seem a bit scary but if you didn’t turn back on your way up, most likely you manage. Then we sail back to Klakksvík.
- Boat transfer from Klaksvík to Øldan and back
- All climbing equipment that is needed
What to bring:
- Warm cloths and foot where that can get wet, dirty and sometimes scratches.
- We recommend thin gloves for hand protection against some of the industrial aluminium steps.
- Food and ½ – 1 litre of water/fluid
- Money to pay for the tour if you haven’t already payed
- You can sign the wavier at tour check-in (if you are 18+ years), but its faster to sign it in advance. People that are 15 to 17 years need their parents to sign the wavier.
- 15 years or older.
- Sign the Waiver. For participants that are 15 to 17 years; parents/legal guardians must sign the Waiver.
- You need to speak one of these languages: Faroese, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish or English.
- You might think that this is a physically demanding tour, but it’s not. If you’re able to walk up and down a ladder you’re fine.
- If you’re wondering if this is too extreme for you, we recommend that you first request/join one of our rappelling tours.
- There are three sizes of harnesses, you need to fit one of them:
- XS-M (68-80 cm waist, thigh 50-56 cm)
- M-L (80-100 cm waist, thigh 56-70)
- L-XXL (100-130 cm waist, thigh 70-75 cm)
Book your adventure
Activities at Øldan
Sea Stack tour to Øldan - 8 Aug at 09:00
Request a Tour
Don't see the tour for you or you want to schedule an outing with specific group? Just contact us. We take requests.