Risin and Kellingin (meaning the Giant and the Witch or Hag) are the most famous Sea Stacks in the Faroe Islands. As well as an Faroese icon on pictures, postcards, stamps and so on.
The legend of the Giant and the Witch
A legend tells how, once upon a time, the giants in Iceland were envious and decided that they wanted the Faroes. So the giant and the witch were sent down to the Faroe Islands to bring them back.
They reached the north-westernmost mountain Eiðiskollur, the giant stayed at sea while the witch climbed up the mountain with a heavy rope to tie the islands together so that she could push them onto the giant’s back. However, when she attached the rope to the mountain and pulled, the northern part of the mountain split (Ytri Kollur). They struggled through the night, but the base of the mountain was firm and they could not move it.
Being creatures of the night, if the sun would shine on them they turn into stones. So it was that as they continued to struggle they didn’t notice time passing, and as dawn broke a shaft of sunlight put a stop to their efforts by turning them to stone on the spot. They have stood there ever since frozen in time, staring longingly across the ocean towards Iceland.
The Giant is a 71 meters high Sea Stack and was first climbed in 2008. For the first time it’s possible to get a guided tour to the top. The tour starts in Eiði, there you’ll take a boat to Risin (The Giant). Once safely on the foot of The Giant, the real adventure begins. You will be pulled by an electric winch to the top, 71 meters straight up. On the top you can enjoy on of the most spectacular scenery in the Faroe Islands. You’ll can even see puffins bringing sea eels to their chick. On the top there is grass, but a bit steep so everyone will at all time be secured in a climbing rope.
There is no climbing experience required for you to join this tour. Age requirements is 18 year (15 years if your parents sign the waiver).
To get back down, your guide will rappel you 71 meters straight down. If you don’t know if this is something you dare to do, join one of our shorter rappelling tours. Even going first on the top of Øldan will prepare you for this trip.
- Boat transfer from Eiði to Risin and back
- All climbing equipment that is needed
What to bring:
- Warm cloths and foot where that can get wet, dirty and sometimes scratches.
- We recommend thin gloves for hand protection against some of the industrial aluminium steps.
- Food and ½ – 1 litre of water/fluid
- Money to pay for the tour if you haven’t already payed
- You can sign the wavier at tour check-in (if you are 18+ years), but its faster to sign it in advance. People that are 15 to 17 years need their parents to sign the wavier.
- 15 years or older.
- Sign the Waiver. For participants that are 15 – 17 years; parents/legal guardians must sign the Waiver.
- You need to speak one of these languages: Faroese, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish or English.
- You might think that this is a physically demanding tour, but it’s not. If you’re able to walk up and down a ladder you’re fine.
- If you’re wondering if this is too extreme for you, we recommend that you first request/join one of our rappelling tours.
- There are three sizes of harnesses, you need to fit one of them:
- XS-M (68-80 cm waist, thigh 50-56 cm)
- M-L (80-100 cm waist, thigh 56-70)
- L-XXL (100-130 cm waist, thigh 70-75 cm)
Price: 1.245 DKK
Meeting place: The harbour at Eiði
Book your adventure
Activities at Risin
No tours at this location
Request a Tour
Don't see the tour for you or you want to schedule an outing with specific group? Just contact us. We take requests.